Not having privacy is one of the major downsides of open-plan concepts. Thus, many homeowners decide to introduce room dividers to create different zones in larger spaces and make them cozier. Check out some of the best partition design ideas to find the right fit for your living room, bedroom, studio apartment or even a barndominium.
1. Stylish Glass Partition. Building walls might not be the ideal option due to various reasons. It might seem an expensive project to undertake. Or it will block the natural light and make the room feel cramped. In both cases, glass partitions will be an excellent alternative. The opacity will let the sunlight illuminate the area and make it feel airier.
2. Half Wall Divider. Let your open-plan home give that spacious feel without stealing privacy. A half wall with an interior window is a quick makeover to make the room feel snugger. A modern design with paneled glass will divide the living room from the kitchen.
3. Indoor Vertical Garden for Room Partition. An indoor vertical garden can not only maximize the greenery in your home, but also section the space in a nice way. Opt for an asymmetrical shelving so that all of your plants and décor can easily fit in.
4. Hallway Divider. When you don’t have an entryway, this smart feature will visually separate the areas. The metal structure with plants is ideal for directing the traffic flow in the home. It will welcome your guests while concealing your living area from the curious eyes.
5. Rattan Folding Screen. If you are looking for a temporary solution to divide the space, a folding screen is an excellent idea. It will provide the privacy you need while adding a dose of texture to the room design.
6. Kitchen Partition Design. Pairing lower cabinets with glass partition will define the room and separate the kitchen from a living area. Also, it will prevent the smells from spreading to the living room.
7. Smart Bookshelf Design. When the workspace is within the living area, you might feel distracted. A shelving system like this one will provide privacy but still make the space feel open. Also, it provides additional storage for your necessities.
8. Studio Apartment Wall Divider. Studio apartments face challenges when it comes to privacy. The apartment is small, so you need smart options to make it feel roomy. The shelving unit has double duty, with an eye-catchy design that complements the room’s decor.
9. Dining Room Dividers. The architecture of this house was smartly used to divide the dining room. They concealed the architectural post with cabinet and shelving, providing better privacy in this open-plan living space.
10. Separating Dining Space. Go creative with the room divider and let it become a bold focal point with its uniqueness. This columned room partition visually divides the kitchen and the living room, making them feel separated. With this, you have the perfect place for creating a cozy reading nook.
11. Wooden Slats. In some living room designs, the furniture layout itself doubles as a room divider. The sofa visually divides the living room, directing the attention away from the dining room. The wooden slats enhance privacy while strengthening the decor theme.
12. Glass Enclosed Space. With a deck flooring and glass sliding doors, this living room gets some clear separation. Yet, it still gets plenty of natural light and an airy feel, a windowless room can never provide.
13. Half Wall for Dining Hall Separation. Building walls might provide privacy, but it will also make the space feel cramped and disrupt the traffic flow. A half-wall or columned cabinets on both sides is the perfect solution to separate two spaces with different purposes. The beige walls and white trim add a decorative touch.
14. Contemporary Partition Ideas. The room divider can become part of the home decor, fitting the interior design theme. The contemporary design of this partition adds flair to the otherwise plain space and makes a remarkable statement while fitting the living room aesthetic.
15. Partition Wall with a TV Unit. In some cases, planning the room’s layout might appear complicated. When you can’t seem to find a proper solution, play with the integral elements. A wall with a TV unit will divide the dining area and living room in a practical way.
16. Slat Living Room Divider. We love how these wooden slats fit this mid-century modern living room. The warmth of the wood complements the furniture while adding a cozy vibe. The vertical slats guide the eye upwards, creating a feeling of a higher ceiling.
17. Bedroom Workplace Partition. Working from home is a huge trend now, and one of the common downsides is the lack of privacy. Remote workers find it difficult to focus and be productive in a noisy home environment. When you don’t have a spare room for a dedicated home office, creating a working space in your bedroom is a great idea. The space provides a quiet environment, while the partition wall can double as a headboard.
18. Small Home Bedroom Divider. When browsing for partition ideas, it is important to have your home’s size in mind. In small rooms, it is all about using the space efficiently. The base matching wall paneling and open shelves divides the sleeping area and is an excellent storage unit for your decor. This smart partition will make the rest area feel intimate even if you don’t have an individual bedroom.
19. Curated Shelving. The wooden shelving design is a stylish partition that separates the entryway from a living area. The texture adds charm to the space while making a gorgeous contrast with the crisp white walls.
20. Narrow Room Dividers. The sleek design ideally fits the modern vibe of this kitchen. The narrow partitions enclose the room while still making it feel open.
21. Curtains for Partition. A curtain partition is the best pick when you’re looking for a quick and easy fix. It is easy to install and affordable, so curtains are a DIY-friendly idea that brings a luxurious touch to the space. Being available in various colors and fabrics, they are a versatile solution that fits a wide array of styles.
22. Statement Beams. If you want to keep the space as open as possible, let the beams more noticeable to designate different home areas. These can work as visual dividers that seamlessly blend into the home design while adding a touch of style.
23. Entryway Room Divider. When the front door opens straight to the living room, you can still create the illusion of an entryway. The compact bench and wood slats conceal the living room, providing the privacy you need. The bench is a three-in-one solution, providing seating, shoe storage, and a room divider.
24. Elegant Home Office Divider. With its opacity, clear glass is ideal for making the space feel light and airy. While metal black framed room dividers are more common, the wood painted white is such an elegant alternative.
25. Folding Screen with Woven Panels. Folding screens come with so many benefits. They can be easily moved through the room, allowing you to control the level of privacy. Since folding screens are affordable and available in different colors and designs, you can always find the right fit for your needs.
26. Console Table. A curated console table on the back of the sofa will also serve as a partition between different spaces. It is ideal for open-plan spaces that need tasteful décor to support the style. Add candles, wicker baskets for storage, and a vase. The stylish vignette will become a seamless transitional point to the seating area.
27. Custom Shelving Unit. A modern shelving unit is ideal if you want to display your fine decor. This smart design will narrow the passage to the contemporary living room, making it feel more intimate. Enhance the shelves with fresh plants for a dose of visual interest.
28. Glass Partitions for Studio Apartments. The paneled partitions create an individual room within a studio apartment. These are ideal if you have a bold design feature and want to make it stand out. The transparency of the glass divider also makes the accent wall visible.
29. Barn Door. Barn doors aren’t only used for better privacy. The sliding doors create a sense of spaciousness while being a decorative feature. The rustic design brings charm to the room, ideal for interiors that crave personality. Therefore, you have a strong focal point that brings the modern farmhouse vibe to the house.
30. Sleek Metal Slate. When it comes to fitting partitions in modern styles or finding outdoor sun and rain-resistant solutions, this is one of the ideas to consider. The designer created a minimalist structure that creates backyard privacy and makes the space feel snug.
Defining spaces is crucial for making open spaces feel comfortable and finished. If you do not want to separate the certain space with a divider, at least designate it with color, statement pendant lights or a rug. Happy home decorating!