Living rooms can be different, but there are some rules for creating a truly minimalist one. For surfaces in the interior, it is better to use clean lines and simple textures. The color palette can be light or dark, but do not use too many colors. A minimalist interior is not supposed to be completely calm and flat. Use natural materials like wood or stone to complete the overall look.
Do not forget to add unusual and unique furniture or lighting to the space. But again, not too much, just a couple of details. In this article, you will see how to make a minimalist living room with interesting features.
1. Modern Living Space In Contrasting Colors. In this living room, the interior designer used predominantly monochrome but contrasting shades of materials. The space is shared with the kitchen and dining area. The lines on the furniture and ceiling are clean. To add texture, the creator used wooden surfaces for the floor and kitchen island. He also made an interesting color accent by adding a red coffee table.
2. Calm Loft-Style Living Room. It is a perfect example of mixing loft and minimalist styles. The living room is not that big but simple and cozy. The walls are plain white, the ceiling is concrete, the sofa is gray, and an armchair, which is the center of attention, is orange. You may also notice some minimalist details that add visual interest to the space.
3. Simple Bright Living Room With Wooden Elements. In almost every minimalist living room, the designers use a lot of natural paints and materials. White or shades of gray are basic colors that look especially good with wooden surfaces, as we see in the photo. Notice how the creator added not light oak but deeper hazelnut wood. It complements the space nicely.
4. White Living Room In Minimalist Style. This living room is quite minimalistic. There are lots of white elements: walls, furniture, and armchairs. It is almost completely white, but the floor is wooden. Besides, the designer added some dark gray details to the space, such as the sofa, to make it more natural and balanced. Thus, the living room looks very relaxing and has an inviting feel.
5. Gorgeous Minimalist Living Room With Blue Sofa. This project looks like a dream home. There are some loft-style details, such as concrete columns and flooring. The texture of these materials is not rough but even and fits perfectly into the space. The living room has large windows, so it has a lot of natural light, which makes the space airy and more spacious. The color palette is monochrome. Nevertheless, there are lovely bright accents in the textiles of the sofa and chairs.
6. Minimalist Living Room In Japanese Style. This living room definitely has a Japanese design philosophy. The space and furniture are minimalistic and create a sense of relaxation. In modern apartments, it is popular to make shared areas for the kitchen and living room. Look how you can hide the hardware behind the cabinet doors and make the space uncluttered.
7. Stunning Minimalist Living Room In Dark Colors. Minimalism is not only about white walls and smooth surfaces. You can use different colors and textures for your living room. But, in any case, it is better to add natural touches. The dark shades of textile, concrete walls and a bit rough but natural wooden flooring make things interesting.
8. Calm And Simple Living Space. This living room has a calm and warm color palette of walls and furniture. It makes the space look inviting and cozy. Large windows provide much-needed natural light. The furniture is almost the same color as the walls and ceiling but has mesmerizing shapes.
9. Huge Minimalist Sofa For Living Room. Such a sofa is a must-have for a minimalist living room. It has clean lines and simple shapes. In addition, it is mostly modular, which allows you to create your own unique and suitable furniture for any space. As you may have noticed, interior designers use this type of sofa quite often for their minimalist interior designs.
10. White Minimalist Living Room With Black Accents. This white living area is complemented by black metallic accents in the furniture and lighting. The space is very tranquil and minimalistic. The lighting above the kitchen island looks especially striking. We hardly see any decor here. As a rule, a minimalist living room does not need many decorative elements as the space should be simple and airy.
11. Natural Materials In Minimalist Living Room. As we mentioned above, the best decor for a minimalist space is natural materials with different textures. They add uniqueness to the room. In the example in the photo, there is not much furniture and decor. Just the basics like a sofa, coffee table, and rug. But the materials of the walls and flooring, as well as the textiles of the sofa, naturally made the space cozier.
12. Field Vibes In Minimalist Living Room. Minimalist living rooms can be different, but the space always has subdued natural colors and textures. In the photo, we can see the touch of nature: real rocks, grass, and dried flowers. It makes you feel closer to the outside world. The center stage is taken by blue sofas and brown poufs that are the focal point of the room.
13. Rough But Minimalist Living Room. This minimalist interior design is gorgeous. It shows that you do not need a lot of home decor to make the space elegant or cozy. Just look at this fireplace wall! Isn’t it a piece of art? It is made of natural stone, as well as the wall structure. This minimalist design also includes some rounded shapes that add interest to the room.
14. Stunning Minimalist Room With Black Walls. This example is one of the most stylish. The interior of the living room does not have a commonly used white color. The walls, ceiling, and furniture are made in dark gray tones. It makes the space deeper and more voluminous. Also, you can add interesting lighting, like here, and create a special atmosphere.
15. Warm Neutral Palette Minimalist Interior Design. Minimalist style is usually remarkably simple. There is nothing to disturb you, letting you enjoy the peaceful atmosphere. This neutral palette is most relevant to the philosophy of minimalism. It adds comfort. The rounded shapes of the furniture enhance this feeling.
16. Small Living Room In Neutral Tones. It is another great idea for a small minimalist living room. There is almost no home decor, so the space seems uncluttered. Minimalist interior design always makes your home feel more spacious. A light color palette, especially white or light gray, adds lightness to the space, while dark accents create a sense of completion.
17. Minimalist Design Of Compact Living Room. You don’t need a lot of furniture, lighting, and decor to make the living room look outstanding. The example in the photo shows that one perfect detail can turn the whole room into a stylish place. We are talking about the wall lighting that becomes a focal point of the entire space.
18. Minimalist Living Room With White Area Rug. It is nice to organize everything around the rug like in this picture if you have enough space in your living room. And it is absolutely not necessary to fill all the free space. Leave some spots empty to make it feel airier. The designer also added a large mirror to the seating area as a decorative detail.
19. Minimalist Attic Living Room. For creating this space, different materials were used: natural wood, stone terrazzo tiles, clay plaster, and stainless steel. The interior combines wooden surfaces of various types and shades. Parquet is made of white larch, light ash is used for wall cladding, and wooden furniture is made of natural oak. It is a perfect match for a minimalist living room.
20. Bright Minimalist Living Room With Fantastic View. There is no need to decorate the space with such a breathtaking view. Let your apartment be minimalistic. Nothing should disturb you from watching the ocean waves and mountains outside. But this living room still has some unique and interesting furniture. Just look at this wooden armchair! Simply stunning.
21. Conceptual Minimalist Room Design. If you want to add colors to your living room, you can always use some artwork or custom-made furniture. We would recommend choosing abstract art for this kind of apartment. But it is up to you. This living room is quite simple: white walls, floor, and ceiling. However, the designer added some stunning colorful details such as the wood paneling, painting on the wall, and tranquil green sofas.
22. White And Concrete Small Living Room. This interior is almost all-white with a few gray details. You may also notice loft elements, such as concrete ceilings and columns. Also, there is a gripping feature. Part of the ceiling is painted white, while the other is left as it is. It is a cool life hack for people who want to save the height of the room but are not really into the gray concrete ceiling.
23. Unique Minimalist Loft-Style Space. Some custom-made furniture will make the space of your apartment look gorgeous. But do not forget to keep a part of the room minimalistic. Let it be the canvas for your future masterpiece. Look at the stairs in the picture. It looks impressive and complements the space nicely. Also, the color of the sofa is so fresh and juicy. It adds interest to the room.
24. Extraordinary Living Room With Purple Sofa. If you want to create an extraordinary interior design, it is better to hire a professional. But you can also try to furnish it yourself. And the easiest way is to make the space minimalistic, and then add some interesting details. For example, a sofa or armchair, something that you can easily move or replace so you can experiment from time to time.
25. Minimalist Living Room With Stainless Steel Details. Minimalist living room ideas are almost the same at the core, but you can always find some unique decor or furniture ideas as in the photo. There are white walls, wood flooring, and simple sofas. Everything is quite superficial. But the stainless steel elements add originality to the room and make it look like a spaceship.
Minimalism is a simple but stylish interior design option for any apartment or house. We hope you enjoyed our minimalist living room examples and found the one that suits your home best.